La Palma - Emigration

Many people dream of emigrating to La Palma. In principle, emigration plans should be well prepared and well thought out, as shown by various emigration forums. Living on La Palma will be different than spending your holidays on La Palma as there is everyday life to consider. In addition, as a foreigner, you are confronted with special requirements, regulations and tax laws.

Residents need a Tarjeta

As foreign residents, you will need a special identity card (Tarjeta de Residente Comunitario) containing the Número de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE), personal data, a photo and the fingerprint of the right index finger. Statutory health insurance in Spain is linked to social insurance, but it covers fewer benefits than a German SHI. Therefore, it may be useful to take out an additional private insurance policy.

Living as a tourist on La Palma?

You are considered a tourist up to a stay of three months, a simple identity card is sufficient if you are an EU citizen. If you stay longer, you can extend your residence permit with the immigration police. The question is: where to live and how much to pay for your living. Generally: Who stays more than 180 days in the year at a certain place on la Palma, must become a resident (with and without gainful employment). Proof that you are able to cover your living expenses is provided by a bank certificate, according to which at least 500 euros must be paid into the account every month. Bundles of cash are not accepted as proof. In addition, the future resident must prove that he or she is covered by social insurance.

Apply in time to become a resident

Documents must be available in a certified Spanish translation. The residency application should be submitted in time before the tourist residence permit is issued, as it often takes months for the card to be issued. Until then you will be legally staying in the country with the copy of the application.

Living costs on La Palma

The cost of living on La Palma is about as high as in Germany or many other European countries. Supermarkets are a bit more expensive, but there is fresh food on the market or in the market hall every day. Remember also that you must heat a fair amount in the winter - usually with gas in bottles, which you get only if your house or your dwelling was found suitable by an examination.

Within the EU it is now possible to move without complete emigration. Tourists are not required to register for up to three months, after which they should register with the local authorities.